After I cleaned out Google Reader of dead feeds of sites that I no longer followed or have not been updated/deleted; I noticed an improved loading time. Which I might have mentions in that post. Though, I don’t know if there’s a page to send suggestions and what not to Google for improvements to Google Reader. There is one thing I like to see added is to select multiple feeds at the same time and do a mass edit. I thought of like 5 to 10 feeds at a time, to un-subscribe from them or move to a common folder to remove at a later date.
Though if there’s a way to do a mass edit within Google Reader; would be nice its a wishful thinking type of product that would’ve helped. Or if there’s a program of some kind that would check if there are dead link’s in your Google Reader or in other RSS reader programs out there. If I was able to build something like I would have done it. Though I just don’t have the know how or knowledge to do that sort of thing.
later for now
Tonight I finally went through Google Reader and cleared out a lot of dead feeds from sites that I don’t follow or not being updated at all. Though, I followed site that got deleted down over the years. Could have done this age’s ago but didn’t; its one of those things I kept putting it off for one reason or another. I’m just glad that I finally did it.
The amount of feeds that I had ware too much to go through, and since the beginning of the year I’ve gone through less and less of the feeds that I had. I guess that I had about 400 feeds in Google Reader, and now I have 331 feeds in Google Reader. Granted that’s still a lot of feeds to follow. These feeds are from the more active sites that I’ve followed since I imported my feed list from Bloglines which I don’t use anymore.
The sites that I’ve kept in Google Reader are news site, web development site and a couple personal sites.
Some of the sites that I’ve followed had not been updated since 2005 and 2006; others in 2009 and 2010. I know that things change and people don’t blog anymore. I know that I don’t posted as much as I did in the past, either on here or on my self hosted blog which I shut down in October 2011. I may put up another site with a different site address at some point in the near future. I’m looking for another domain name to buy. The one’s that I thought of haven been bought and / or in use. More on this later.
It’s probably going be a while before I would add more rss feeds to Google Reader any time soon. If I do, sites that I would follow would be like web development sites when I go looking for them.
Just an FYI to those who follow this blog and or who visit my site every so often. I’m in the process of adding Google AdSense to this site to basically try to help with the cost of hosting this site and my pet site. The thing that was preventing me from doing this a couple of years ago – was that I needed a mailbox at my home which I didn’t have ’til last week. Though I did have a mailbox at my home a couple of years back though it got ruined over the winter and I never really got around to get it replaced – ’til this summer.
Though its going to take some time to actually update the whole site with the code.
As for an earlier post about the troubles that I’ve been having with the MySQL Server with my hosting provider as far as I know its been “fixed” but I won’t hold my breath. Seems like that there is some kind of problems with the MySQL server every so often that happens at my hosting company. Don’t know why the server’s “act up” like this but I think its bad for business and frankly they (the hosting provider) should update to the current release build of MySQL and php though after doing some testing before doing a system wide update/upgrade of the server software. But that’s just my 2 cents.
Anyways, getting back on topic, I’m going to see how the ads will do on my site between now and the end of the year. Depending on how this endeavor goes – will move my plans up on moving to a new hosting provider and move to a new domain register – otherwise, hopefully, I’ll do the move of this site later this year.
bye for now…
P.S. This post may be updated at some point but don’t know when or if this post would be updated or not.
I’ve been using Bloglines for a couple of years and use to it in regrades to its interface and the way it works. Though with Google Reader I’ve been using it for a much shorter time and have had 2 feeds in it. Tonight I imported the feeds that I have in Bloglines into Google Reader, which was an easy thing to do. Let me say that its going to take some time on using the service from Google and the way it marks the items in the feed as read items.
Though I’ve tried the Bloglines Beta a couple of times but not enough to comment on it. Though its an improvement of the current version of Bloglines. Though I may switch over to Google Reader for a bit of time to see how it goes.
bye for now.