As you may tell by the title of this post that there’s a proverbial “Fork in the Road” decision is coming soon that I should or need to make – well in 6 to 7 months time. The decision that I’m trying to make is to whether stay here in Alaska for 2 more years and finish University, or to move to back to the “lower 48” next summer and could finish at another University that I have in mind. I don’t want to say which University that I’m thinking of applying to transfer to yet.
During this time I would need to consider some other factor whether or not I should stay or to leave Alaska. The reason for that statement is that there somethings that are somewhat “beyond my reach” but that’s not the phrase that I’m not looking for. The other phrase I might consider is “beyond my control.” There might be one or two other phrase’s that might be helpful or be used in this situation but can’t think of these phrase’s.
As I’ve just said that there are few other factors to be or should be considered and depending on what happens with these other outside factors/choices would help me make the decision whether or not to stay in Alaska.
Now here is the main reason for this “Fork in the Road” decision I should or need to make: I see an opportunity or an opportunity is presenting its self to me to leave the state of Alaska sometime during this next year possibly for a very long time. If I choose to stay here in Alaska to finish University I doubt that I’ll never leave this state for a long time, and miss a lot of opportunity to broaden my horizon’s in life. Like to travel the planet – see a later paragraph.
Anyway, looking at the situation that I’m currently in is making me think about what I want to do with my future. What I see is that I could stay for several more years and finish University and live here for the next 10 years or more, or I could move in 8 – 9 months and attend another University and “get on” with the rest of my life and have minimal contact with my family over the intervening years as time marches forward. Though there is possibly nothing wrong with either choice with what I want to do with the rest of my life.
If I stay here and finish University here in Alaska I would be done in approximately 2 years time starting in Fall 2008. If I do stay it looks like that I would be taking at least 5 classes per term – not that I mind taking that many classes at one time, though it would be difficult to manage my time among other things.
If I do move and attend another University in the “lower 48” I would figure that it would take me, I think, at least 3 years or more to complete the required course work at the new University that I might attend.
Though I wasn’t planning to be taking classes this long (started in Fall 2002), now is Fall 2007. What I wanted to do was to transfer to another University 2 years ago and that didn’t happen at all. Basically it was poor of did proper planning on my part. I did take several classes over again which screwed things up for me academically in the long run.
Now the problem or the questions I need to ask my self are: What should I do about my education?, Should I stay in Alaska and finish University here?, Should I transfer to another University and finish my education there? Should I stay here and finish my education here then go to another University and get another degree? Should I take a break from University altogether for a year and travel?
One thing that I would like to do is to visit several countries and a few other state’s in the U.S. The places that I would like to visit to while on break from University are Ireland, the United Kingdom, Italy, maybe Spain, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Canada. Though not in this order and would or could take me several years to travel to each country listed here.
During the next 3 to 4 months would help me to determine whether or not on what happens if I’m choose to transfer to another University or to stay in Alaska for the next 5 to 10 years. Though I didn’t plan to stay in Alaska as long as I did – nearly 15 years of my life that I’ve been living here. The truth is that I’ve been wanting to leave Alaska for the last 5 years and the situation that I’m in prevented – well mostly prevented me from leaving and “getting on” with my life.
As I’ve said earlier in this post that there’s an opportunity for me to leave, now the problem is whether or not I should take this chance and take life by the balls and run with it.
I could go on with this post and talk more but it seems like that I’ve got the majority of it said here in this post and I would be just babaling on like a jack rabbit – if there’s ever such a thing to witness. I might post updates to this over time depending on what happens over the next several months.
Bye for now….